Leave it to the believers in the Nanny State who run the City of Berkeley, California to allow a grown man who can vote and join the Armed Forces to not be allowed to smoke.
Berkeley’s city council voted to raise the smoking age to 21 within the borders of their town.
Proponents of the move justified it by saying, “They recognize that the smoking age should be the same as the drinking age.”
That’s the nonsensical equivalent of saying “They recognize that the smoking age should be the same as the handgun buying age.”
The only commonality between alcohol and tobacco is that they are both taxed as a “vice” substance.
The new law joins several other ridiculous laws within the state of California such as these “on the books” regulations:
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.
- California prison workers will no longer be allowed to have sex with inmates.
- It is unlawful to let a dog pursue a bear or bobcat at anytime.
- In San Jose and Sunnyvale, it is illegal for grocery stores to provide plastic bags.
- In Carmel, California, a man cannot go outside his home while wearing a jacket and pants that don’t match.
Thankfully, one town in California came to its sense and repealed a law that ordered ice cream only be eaten while standing on the sidewalk . . . Clint Eastwood was the mayor.